[Pw_forum] Compiling problem on itanium2 bull cluster

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 6 16:15:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Federico Iori wrote:

FI> Dear all.

dear federico!

FI> I was compiling my Pwscf on this machine (PLATINE the common name)

[...]

FI> *fortcom: Severe: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report
FI> this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software
FI> Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this
FI> error.
FI>
FI> ifort: error: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 3)

[...]

FI> doing the ./configure everything seems to work perfectly.
FI> Then the make pw step works perfectly.
FI> But in the end i cant compile the pp or pwall stuff.
FI>
FI> What do you suggest me to do? Should I bother you or directly the
FI> technicians in the CCRT centre??

as stated here many times before: an internal compiler error
is a bug in the _compiler_, not the application. given the
hardware configuration that you describe, it is very likely that
you have a broken intel compiler and you need to update it to
the latest patchlevel. this is a quite common problem.

i also strongly advise to run tests with the compiled executables,
as there are very high chances that those are miscompiled. these
days, a successful compilation does not mean, that you have a
correctly working executables. the itanium architecture is quite
notorious there, since the compiler has to do more work compared
to other architectures.

cheers,
   axel.