[Pw_forum] Quick question on Hartwigsen-Goedeker-Hutter pseudopotential

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Oct 3 09:00:55 CEST 2008

I don't know the details of the generation of  this particular PP but in
the old good times there has been a very detailed comparison of LDA band
structure calculation of Ge and GaAs between the PP method and LMTO [GB
Bachelet and NE Christensen, Phys.Rev.B 31, 879 (1985) ].
The main result is that in order to get the correct (bad) gap in Ge and
GaAs  1) scalar relativistic, 2) spin-orbit coupling, 3) 3d-state relaxation
are important... not to mention convergence w.r.t. to cutoff ...

Hope  this helps,

 Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS