[Pw_forum] Problems with integrated charge for a large supercell relaxation

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Nov 21 16:13:47 CET 2008

JR Schmidt wrote:
> I am having problems with a calculation repeatedly aborting during a
> supercell relaxation.  After MANY successful (force / displacement)
> iterations, and when the force on the atoms is quite small (i.e. near
> convergence of the optimization), the calculation aborts with the error:
>
> WARNING: integrated charge=   405.28031513, expected=   408.00000000
>
>  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>      from electrons : error #         1
>      charge is wrong
>  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> I checked the archives, and this problem has come up before for
> supercell calculations.  I realize that the most obvious explanations are:
>
> (1)  Bad geometry
> (2)  Bad cutoffs

Maybe I'm wrong, but this could happen also if your charge density and/or wfc files are
not written correctly in the outdir. Is your problem reproducible, or did it happen just
only once?

If it is reproducible, please specify version of QE, input file and exact point of crash
in the program (i.e. first diagonalization step or before diagonalization or etc.).

GS

--

La legge n. 133 uccide l'Università e la Ricerca italiana!

Save Italian Brains! (http://saveitalianbrains.wordpress.com/)

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |
| c/o:   SISSA & CNR-INFM Democritos,              |
|        via Beirut 2-4, 34014 Trieste (Italy)     |
| email: sclauzer at sissa.it                         |
| phone: +39 040 3787 511                          |
| skype: gurlonotturno                             |