[Pw_forum] /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/069/lib/intel64/libimf.so: warning: warning: feupdateenv is not implemented and will always fail

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 18 18:26:18 CET 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, vega lew wrote:

VL> Dear sir,
VL>
VL> > oh my. Yet another version of the Intel compiler, with new and> better bugs
VL> which compiler was best and stable for QE? 9.1? 9.0? and what about the mkl?

what on earth makes you think that the compiler is the culprit
of your problems. as paolo suggested, you have to provide _proof_
(to yourself mostly) of what is going wrong.

there are a bunch of issues with intel compilers that have been
discussed here many, many times. if one takes them all into account
there is no harm in using intel. various versions have been working
find for me on a large number of machine and also for codes that are
much more demanding in terms of correctness of the implementation of
fortran95 than Q-E. the key issue is to know what you are doing
and to not push the compiler too far (i.e. reduce the optimization
level and avoid excessive IPO or SSE optimizations). moreover, there
are additional complications with MKL 10 due to the way it multi-threads
across available processors unless OMP_NUM_THREADS is set to 1 on
all machines or one uses the proper linking sequence. all of that
has been discussed here many times and is well documented in the
intel provided documentation.

my suspicion is more that you are running either out of stack memory
or in general out of memory, but that is something that you can
monitor easily (and information of i am using x atoms, or y cutoff
does not help, there are many more parameters that determine how
much memory a calculation requires) and test systematically. since
you don't provide crucial details that allow any qualified statements
you'll have to learn to live with no proper help.
my prediction is that randomly swapping compilers or MPI libraries
will only increase your (and our) confusion, but not provide
any proper resolution.

cheers,
   axel.