[Pw_forum] Total energy does not coverge with ecut

dario rocca roccad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 02:32:06 CET 2008

It seems that now you are using pseusopotentials generated with different
functionals (pz and pbe).
In my experience it is hard to converge ultrasoft with respect to ecutrho:
at a certain point the total enegy starts
oscillating or it goes down very slowly.  This could be the reason of the
behavior that you see, namely the
results for different ecutwfc does not converge because none of them is
fully converged with respect to
ecutrho. From this point of view I found that rrkj ultrasoft have a much
better behavior. If I remember well they are optimized  to use a smaller
number of plane-waves to describe the augmentation
charge. I would follow the suggestion "So usually it is better to check the
convergence of the quantity you are interested in"
Dario