[Pw_forum] Total energy does not converge with ecut

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 00:13:38 CET 2008

Timothy,

--- On Wed, 11/12/08, Timothy Mason <thmason24 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> sadly there is no typo.

Then quite strange how could you proceed your calculations. readpp.f90 should stop pw.x

> Those are indeed the PsPs I was using(hopefully I've
> havn't exposed myself as hopeless). I have
> witnessed that sometimes the calculations stop which seems
> to be structure dependent.

If you are absolutely sure that the structure is correct, this one actually might be a reason for doubts about a PsP quality (transferability).
Otherwise, check your structure via XCrysDen.

> is there a reference regarding guidelines for selecting
> Pseudopotentials?

I do not think so. It will be not so democratic.
This should be only your choice, and depends on your experience.
The gold rule is the use of PsPs with the same XC-functional, at the same time you can mix different type of PsPs (normconserving, ultrasoft, and, hopefully, PAW now).

> in general its a bad ideal to mixmatch types of
> pseudopotentials?

Presumably, mismatch, but not mixmatch. In general, and in particular, it is a bad idea with respect to XC-type only, indeed. Otherwise, see above.

> thanks a lot for your help.

Welcome.

Bests,
Eyvaz.