[Pw_forum] Libraries on Blue Gene/L

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 5 21:59:20 CET 2008

hi,

FWIW, the contact for optimized libraries for BG/L is alessandro curioni
at IBM research in zurich <cur at zurich.ibm.com>.

for optimal performance you do not need ESSL, but a specially tuned
LAPACK and mostly BLAS (i.e. DGEMM and related).

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:18 PM,  <zhaofeng at princeton.edu> wrote:
> Dear members,
>
>    Currently I am porting CP code on BlueGene/L. I have met some problems
> that are
> related with libraries.
>    The compilation and linking options are shown below
>  ./configure MPIF90=mpxlf90 CC=mpxlc F77=mpxlf LD=mpxlf90
> LDFLAGS="-L/bgl/BlueLight/ppcfloor/bglsys/lib -lmpich.rts -lmsglayer.rts
> -lrts.rts -
> ldevices.rts"
> BLAS_LIBS="/bgl/local/lib/libblas440.a"
> LAPACK_LIBS="/bgl/local/lib/liblapack440.a
> /bgl/local/lib/scalapack/libscalapack.a"
> CFLAGS="-qarch=440 -qmaxmem=64000"
> FFLAGS="-qalias=noaryovrlp -I../include -O3 -qstrict -qarch=440d -qtune=440
> -qsuffix=cpp=f90 -qdpc -qalias=nointpt"
> FFT_LIBS="/bgl/local/fftw-3.1.2/lib/libfftw3.a"
>
>    There is not problem in obtaining cp.x when "make cp". We test 64 water
> using 256
> processors(128 nodes) with number of task group equal to 2, and the speed of
> cp is 6 sec
> per step, which is good(If some of you have better suggestions for
> configuration which can lead to good performance, that will be so great).
>    But we need to us cp-wf as well and find that wannier part takes also 6
> sec per step, which is really
> unacceptable.We look into it and find that there are calls of DGEMM and
> ZHPEV which are quite time consuming(in wf.f90). For instance, ZHPEV takes
> 1.9sec per step and ZGEMM is 0.14 sec per step. Since ZGEMM and ZHPEV are
> both the calls in the library of LAPACK, we conclude it is because of bad

no, ZGEMM is part of BLAS and not LAPACK.

nevertheless, this does not necessarily mean, that those are the culprit.
it could just be, that this part of the code is not as parallel as the rest
and thus is doing a lot of redundant work. i saw this quite often with
wannier implementations in different codes.

cheers,
   axel.