[Pw_forum] mpi error while running pw.x

Krishna chaitanya krishnachaitanya.gunturu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 05:02:39 CET 2008

Dear Pwscf users,

while running pw.x on a 24 cores clusters (2x2 AMD nodes loaded with
RHEL-AS4) some times it is showing the following error after completing few
BFGS steps. But the problem is not appearing for all the runs. The error
message is

*[cli_0]: aborting job:
Fatal error in MPI_Comm_split: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPI_Comm_split(250).: MPI_Comm_split(comm=0x84000004, color=0, key=0,
new_comm=0x7fbfffdb6c) failed
MPIR_Comm_create(79): Too many communicators*

I am using the following command to run pw.x
* mpirun -machinefile $HOME/mpd.cores -np 24 pw.x -in file.in -npool 1 >
file.out < /dev/null &*

I have tried by changing the pool number but no use. Please help me in this
regard.

Regards
G. Krishna Chaitanya