[Pw_forum] Stress tensor from pw.x and cp.x

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Thu May 22 08:36:09 CEST 2008

Dear Lawrence,

the only suggestions that comes to mind is this - the stress tensors
converges to its "true" values more slowly with energy cutoff then
other quantities. Usually the error at standard cutoffs is
fairly "rigid", i.e. due to contributions that are not sensitive to
the chemical environment, and so you can even correct for that
empirically.

CP and PWscf have a different way of treating augmentation charges,
so that's the only major difference that comes to mind - but it would
apply to ultrasoft pseudo (that's why posting your input would have helped).

Bottom line - let's use QE-4.0 (i.e. download it now) and retest
with increasing cutoff, and if you are using ultrasoft pseudopotentials,
throw in for good measure a high charge density cutoff (10-12 times the
wavefunctions). In CP, test also for the box grid size (nr1b...),
increasing values. And then maybe post again, at least the results
and an input file. Of course, if it is ultrasoft, and your nr1b is not
really that good, that could explain it right away.

				nicola