[Pw_forum] Compile pwscf on HP Unix

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Wed May 21 16:51:24 CEST 2008

Yu Xie wrote:

> I'm trying to install the pwscf 3.2.3 on a HP Unix machine.

you should install the new 4.0 version instead (but it will not
solve your problem).

> Error 1055 : In program unit COMPUTE_FES_GRADS variable STARTINGPOT
> has not been given a type
> Error 1055 : In program unit COMPUTE_FES_GRADS variable STARTINGWFC
> has not been given a type

it looks like a compiler bug. More exactly: there is a weird usage,
syntactically correct but very awkward, of variables STARTINGPOT and
STARTINGWFC from two different modules,that confuses the compiler
(it confuses me as well). A compiler that gets confused is buggy
by definition.

> How can I correct this error?

not sure you can. It depends on the kind of machine yout have.
Try to update your compiler to a more recent version, or to
get a different compiler.

Paolo