[Pw_forum] what's the meaning of error in compiler of sun solaris?

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Fri May 16 13:57:34 CEST 2008

针叶 朱 wrote:

>     I want to compile pwscf in sun solaris 9.0. when i make pw, the
> error appears as following:
>              ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to pw.x
>[...]  what is the meaning of the error, and how to deal with it? Please
>give  me some suggestions.

In my  short experience with solaris 10, I managed to compile PWscf,
and the difficult part was to understand which fortran and C compiler
and linker to use. The machine I got had Sun fortran compiler (but
it was well hidden) and a number of C compilers (do not remember
which was the good one). So my suggestion is to understand what is
in your machine and to try to compile a simple job first. In the new
version, "configure" should recognize PC with Solaris, if properly
set up (i.e. with a working combination of fortran and C and linker
in your path)

Paolo