[Pw_forum] Defining an antiferromagnetic graphene nanoribbon

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sun May 11 19:16:05 CEST 2008

On May 11, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Nicola Marzari wrote:

> The convergence tests for ultrasoft carbon are actually posted on the
> webpage:
>
> http://www.quantum-espresso.org/pseudo/upfdetails.php?upf=C.pbe-rrkjus.UPF
>
> Interesting, sp2 carbon (graphite) looks a bit smoother than
> sp3 carbon (diamond) (I do wonder why) but roughly the cutoffs
> are the same.

The energy gain in going form one cutoff to the next is very similar
in the two plots, reflecting the same effective number of p electrons
in graphite and carbon. If this number was different, I would expect
the energy difference between two cutoffs to depend on the structure,
because the s-channel potential should be softer than the p-channel
one. For instance, I would expect the energy per atom in diamond to
behave similarly as for an isolated atom in a sp3 configuration, but
differently from an s2p2 atom (the energy of the latter should depend
less on the cutoff). This is just a guess. Has anybody evidence of this?

In the specific case, the main difference between the convergence
tests reported for diamond and graphite is not the absolute
convergence, which is quite similar in the two cases, but rather that,
for lower cutoffs, the E-vs-V curve looks more rugged for diamond than
for graphite. Couldn't this be simply a consequence of the smaller
number of k-points used for the former than for the latter?
Discontinuities in the E-vs-V curve are due to the sudden increase in
the number plane waves when the cutoff crosses some critical values
(when an infinitesimal increase of the volume of the reciprocal-space
sphere of radius \sqrt{ecut} lets one or more G vectors be included in
the sphere). This critical values depend on the k-point around which
the sphere is centered. Using more k-points usually has a compensating
effect on the discontinuities. That's why the more the k-points, the
less rugged the E-vs.V curves usually look. Of course, this does not
indicate that the convergence is faster the larger the number of k-
points, but only that the E-vs-V smoothness, by itself, is not a good
indicator of cutoff convergence.

Am I wrong?

Stefano

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget