[Pw_forum] slow relaxing

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sun May 11 18:43:38 CEST 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Stefano Baroni wrote:

perhaps one more comment on top of that mentioning
a subject that is easily forgotten.

i noticed that in the example input the wavefunction cutoff was
chosen somewhat low (if not too low at 60ry) for norm-conserving
pseudopotentials on an oxygen containing system.

with a low (density) cutoff there will be a residual "ripples"
on the density since you are missing high frequency components.
as a consequence the minimum your system "sees" may actually
change with the displacement of atoms or the whole system.
this artefact will of course interfere with the geometry convergence
behavior, particularly for gradient corrected functionals, and
particularly for systems where you have "vacuum" areas in which
those oscillations will have the largest relative impact.
in part the latter effect is handled by a cutoff to not compute
XC functionals if the densities, but it still is an effect
to consider.

in conclusion, the more tightly you want to converge your geometry,
the higher cutoff you need. one has to keep in mind, though, that
there are also the systematic errors of DFT to be considered and
that it is of little use to converge geometries (far) beyond.

cheers,
   axel.