[Pw_forum] comparing gaussian03 with pwscf

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed May 7 10:36:27 CEST 2008

how to carve an atom from a molecule or a solid is a long standing
problem with no clear solution basically due to the fact that it is an
ill defined problem as .
however I  think that Bader  analysis, based on defining atomic volumes
from topological properties of the charge density rather than just
nearest-neighbhor interatomic distances, give results that are more
consistent with chemical intuition.
I remember for instance that in GaAs a description based on Voronoy
polyhedra would assign higher charge to Ga than to As just because the
As is "fatter" than Ga and a fraction of the charge that one would
visually assign to it was in the Ga territory...  An analysis based on
Bader decomposition was instead consistent with the expectation.
Unfortunately Bader analysis is not presently implemented among QE
post-processing tools.
Other options to try to assign charges to atoms are Lowdin population
analysis (it however depends on the  choice of atomic functions used) or
construction of maximally localized Wannier functions that would help
splitting the charge density in contributions with well identified
origin...   both these two schemes are available using QE and/or
wannier90 code.

hope this helps,
stefano