[Pw_forum] Small U for Co in ZnO for LDA+U (update)

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Mon Jun 30 20:04:47 CEST 2008

Dear Nektarios,

I was going to write but Nicola has been faster than me. Nicola is right:
probably the reason why "ortho-atomic" and "norm-atomic" produce similar
results is that the atomic wavefunctions in the Co PP are not normalized.
Try to check the occupations in the "atomic" case. are they much bigger
than 1?

Ortho-atomic: atomic wfcs are orthogonalized with those belonging to
different atoms. atomic: wfcs are orthogonal (by construction) only to
those belonging to the same atom (there are overlap regions in between
atoms) norm-atomic: quick and dirty fix added to use PPs whose wfcs are not
normalized. when these wfcs are normalized it gives the same results as
"atomic".

In general I would suggest to not look at the value of U itself but rather
to the results it produces. I just found a paper: PRL 100, 256401 (2008)
where they use U=2 for Co and 5eV for Zn (with vasp). Why don't you
actually try to compute the U (PRB 71, 35105 (2005))?

hope this helps.

Matteo

--
Matteo Cococcioni