[Pw_forum] Running examples in espresso-4.0

Paul M. Grant w2agz at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 23 03:31:25 CEST 2008

I'm in the middle of a two-day run, but will try Davide's solution when it
finishes.

It turns out Ubuntu is a clone of Debian, which is supposed to be "the"
Linux distro, and they use (for some reason), a different command
interpreter, dash (I wonder what the "d" is for ;)).
Where's a good place to park the symlink so that it invokes on boot-up?

On the subject of command interpreters, I spend a lot of time writing
scripts to generate and analyze text I/O from the PWscf executables, and
bash is tedious, to say the least.  What's been the experience with
"semi-smart" interpreters, like Perl?  How I long for good old APL2, which
even has an unconditional goto!  (I actually have IBM's latest on my
machine...maybe I should try it out)

For anyone interested in superconductivity, I had an N&V in last week's
Nature on the recently discovered "iron age" superconductors...barbs are
welcome.

Paul M. Grant, PhD
Principal, W2AGZ Technologies
Visiting Scholar, Applied Physics, Stanford (2005-2008)
EPRI Science Fellow (Retired)
IBM Research Staff Member Emeritus
w2agz at pacbell.net
http://www.w2agz.com