[Pw_forum] my understanding about ASR

stewart at cnf.cornell.edu stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Thu Jun 19 16:17:41 CEST 2008

I recently studied Kohn anomalies in palladium using Quantum Espresso.  For
this, I calculated the phonon dispersion with a 8x8x8 q-grid and I also did
a series of direct calculations along the direction with the Kohn anomaly.
Overall the agreement was very good.  I found a small deviation between the
two approaches for small q as you would expect.  The maximum error at the
Gamma point was 0.07 THz.  For a comparison along the Gamma to X line, see
Fig 2 (D. A. Stewart, New. J. Phys. 10 043025 (2008)).  Of course, the
difference you get between ASR results and direct calculations will depend
strongly on how well relaxed your structure is.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/10/4/043025

Best regards,

Derek

Paolo Giannozzi writes:

> xwzhang at uestc.edu.cn wrote:
>
>> are there any problem that the slope of the phonon around Gamma is
>> incorrect, because ASR cure the problem of k=0, but what about other
>> points near it?
>
> for phonons at k/=0, the error due to ASR violation seems to be
> usually negligible. I never tried to make calculations with
> very small q, though.
>
> Paolo
> --
> Paolo Giannozzi, Democritos and University of Udine, Italy

Derek Stewart, Ph. D.
Scientific Computation Associate
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/das248/
250 Duffield Hall