[Pw_forum] about Phonon results

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Jun 17 10:03:51 CEST 2008

Eduardo Ariel Menendez Proupin wrote:
> This happens because
> a) 0 frecuencies at Gamma occurs because the energy is is invariant
> with respect to arbitrary translations of the whole crystal (the same
> translation for all atoms). From this assumption the accoustic sum
> rule (ASR) is obtained theoretically.
> b) The plane wave DFT calculations do not have this invariance
> exactly, because of the plane wave cutoff. The energy is invariant not
> for arbitrary translations, but for translations in the FFT grid.
> c) I guess that the absolute translation invariance is lost in the
> back and forth FFTs of the exchange-correlation potential, which is
> non linear, and probably in some part related with the ultrasoft
> pseudopotentials. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.
everything correct, except for the clarification of a detail.
The problem is actually not in the finite kinetic energy cutoff but in
the fact that the exchange and correlation energy is computed in real
space on a discrete grid and hence the total energy is invariant (as you
said) only for translation in the FFT grid.
Increasing the charge density cutoff increases the grid density thus
making the integral more exact thus reducing the problem....
unfortunately rather slowly...
This problem is usually more severe for GGA  than with LDA because the
GGA functionals have functional forms that vary more strongly with  the
position; particularly so for isolated molecules or system with
significant portions of "vaccum" because in the exponential tail of the
charge density a) the finite cutoff  (hence there is an effect due to
cutoff) induces oscillations in rho and b) the reduced gradient is diverging

stefano