[Pw_forum] ELP map with VMD

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sat Jun 14 16:59:53 CEST 2008

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, glevita at units.it wrote:

GL> Dear All,

dear giacomo,

GL> I'd like to map the Electrostatic potential of a molecule onto its
GL> density surface.
GL> I can't make it with XCrysDen, but I found out that VMD can handle its
GL> .xsf files.

yep. ...and if you set the output to .plt or .cube format instead
of .xsf there are many other programs out there that can do it.

GL> I managed to actually import in VMD the .xsf file of the molecular
GL> potential I had generated with pp.x... but I got stuck with the
GL> generation of the density surface and the mapping of the potential. It
GL> seems I have to download the ASPD plugin, but after having done that,

how did you determine that you need this plugin? please have a look at:
http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-vmd/part5.html#chap7_sect1
for an example (using a different code, but the principle is the same).

please note, that VMD requires a correctly working
OpenGL for this mapping to work.

GL> I am still unable to make it work.

GL> Did anyone encountered similar problem? Or can suggest me some
GL> tutorial to read? (unfortunately I wasn't able to get much
GL> clarification from those I found on the web)

the process is extremely straightforward, but it is one of these
things that can be very confusing unless you realize how trivial
it is. so please explain what you did, what didn't work and where
you run into problems.

cheers,
   axel.