[Pw_forum] Problems concerning fhi2upf and cpmd2upf

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 10 11:29:47 CEST 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Holger Hesske wrote:

HH> Dear pwscf-users,
HH>
HH> (1) I tried to convert a NC-PP for Nitrogen from the fhi-website. It fails
HH> with segfault (forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred).
HH> To test wheter it is a micompiled fhi2upf.x I convert several other PPs and it
HH> worked fine for Oxygen, Carbon, Barium, etc. but it fails also, if I choose
HH> an atom with odd electrons (fluorine/sodium; no semicore for all of them).
HH> The question arose: Is it my non-ability (probably), does it not work for that
HH> special case (I couldn't find another NC_PBE_PP) or is it a general bug
HH> (probably not)? Or even more interesting: How could I fix it and obtain a
HH> working Nitrogen_NC_PBE_PP in UPF format?

the fhi2upf.x converter always has been the most problematic one...

HH> (2) After failing with the fhi conversion, I tried to get one from the cpmd
HH> package (there is one in the pp_ext_package) and convert it to UPF (works
HH> well so far). But when starting test calculations the code stops and
HH> complains after/with:
HH> ------------------------------------
HH> Current dimensions of program pwscf are:
HH>      Max number of different atomic species (ntypx) = 10
HH>      Max number of k-points (npk) =  40000
HH>      Max angular momentum in pseudopotentials (lmaxx) =  3
HH>
HH> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
HH>      task #         4
HH>      from set_dft_value : error #         1
HH>      two conflicting matching values

cpmd uses a special encoding for PBE (it has exchange and
correlation in one special subroutine). you can fix the
resulting pseudopotentia with a text editor by changing
SLA PW PBE PBE  in the UPF file into  SLA PW PBX PBC

cheers,
   axel.