[Pw_forum] lattice instability and local minimum energy postion

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 31 17:56:12 CEST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:

PG> > [...]  I displaced atoms in the cell according
PG> > to the eigen-displacements shown above,and got a cubic cell containg 8
PG> > atoms. But I found the energy rised with the increase of atom
PG> > displacements, which was totally contrary to what I expected.
PG>
PG> have you tried the same operation on a simpler system, such as e.g.
PG> GaAs? You should get the phonon frequencies. If you don't, you
PG> may have made a mistake

... not to mention that several of the pseudopotentials from the
vanderbilt library have problems with getting phonons right. not
sure whether this originates from the definition of the potentials
or the individual parameters chosen.

i've seen this in several vanderbilt pseudopotential that i created:
they worked fine for all problems that i was using them (MD, geometry
optimization), but when others used them for calculating phonons, they
turned out to be disastrous.

cheers,
   axel.