[Pw_forum] a question on 4-phonons interactions

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed Jul 30 19:17:36 CEST 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 12:34 PM, L.F.Huang (黄良锋) wrote:

> Dear Prof. Baroni:
>  According to the linear response theory and 2n+1 theorem
> (Rev.Mod.Phys.73,515),
> it seems that PWSCF can not calculate 4-phonons interactions. But in
> effect,
> the process of 4-phonons interactions is as important as 3-phonons
> interactions.

sometimes

> Then my question is:
>  Is there any approach to calculate the anharmonicity of some
> vibration
>  modes including 4-phonons interactions ?

I do not see any other way than frozen phonons or, maybe, a
combination of frozen phonons with perturbation theory. I have never
thought in depth at what an optimal strategy can be, but Alberto
Debernardi has (see, e.g. Alberto Debernardi, Manuel Cardona, First
principles calculation of the real part of phonon self energy in
compound semiconductors, Physica B: Condensed MatterVolumes 263-264, ,
March 1999, Pages 687-690). You may want to contact Alberto: his e-
mail address is: alberto.debernardi at mdm.infm.it

regards - SB

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget