[Pw_forum] request

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 29 16:47:06 CEST 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, afsaneh daemi wrote:

AD> dear all,
AD>   I'm a freshman user in the espresso.
AD> I can't find the mkl library file to install it.
AD> Where should I stop by?

since people tend to forget this. please note, that MKL
is a commercial software and the non-commercial license
applies only to work that you are not being paid for.
so if you are a researcher or graduate student, you need
an academic license. if you program something at home that
is not related to your work, you are allowed to use the
non-commercial version. same goes for the compilers. the
binaries are identical.

the fact that many people use MKL or discuss problems with MKL
does not imply that it is required. any BLAS/LAPACK implementation
will work and QE actually ships with a portable minimial version
in case there is not alternative recognized.

of course an optimized implementation (like MKL) will make QE
execute faster, but there are free alternatives around as well:
e.g. ATLAS or GOTO BLAS.

cheers,
   axel.