[Pw_forum] how to avoid this warning ?

lan haiping lanhaiping at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 01:37:12 CEST 2008

Thank you Axel,
I can avoid this warning with linking to espresso's self lapack package. But
it seems too slow than mkl library
I am trying to upgrade my mkl library to the latest,  and test whether it
will give this warning .

Thank you again for this long explanation .

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Stefano Baroni wrote:
>
> SB> Ian haping:
> SB>
> SB> >this warning originates from MKL. you have to check out intel's
> support
> SB> >forums for MKL or contact intel support to get help or an explanation
> SB> >for that.
> SB>
> SB> probably, people in this mailing list will like to learn about the
> SB> information you get
>
> hi stefano,
>
> i stuffed the warning into google and it looks as if this
> originates from incorrect linking, e.g. by trying to link
> a static library as dynamic. without digging too deep into
> the technical details it looks as if this would happen when
> an old x86_64 compiler executable would be used on a too
> new installation or similarly related software that may mess
> with dynamic and static linkage of libraries (e.g. MPI).
> the error shows up on a large number of quite unrelated
> software packages.
>
> it is essentially a user error... and it has to be taken seriously
> since the affected functionality will not work. with large libraries
> like MKL it is impossible to predict whether some low level
> function is needed or not. if the calculation continues it would
> be worse than getting a straight crash as one cannot know whether
> there is some data corrupted or operations not performed and thus
> the resulting data dependable or not.
>
> cheers,
>   axel.
>

> SB> cheers - SB
> SB>
> SB> >
> SB>
> SB> ---
> SB> Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
> Trieste
> SB> http://www.sissa.it/~baroni <http://www.sissa.it/%7Ebaroni> / [+39]
> 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
> SB> stefanobaroni (skype)
> SB>
> SB> La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
> de la
> SB> pensée - Jean Piaget
> SB>
> SB> Please, if possible, don't  send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments
> SB> Why? See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

> Axel Kohlmeyer   akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu   http://www.cmm.upenn.edu
>   Center for Molecular Modeling   --   University of Pennsylvania
> Department of Chemistry, 231 S.34th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6323
> tel: 1-215-898-1582,  fax: 1-215-573-6233,  office-tel: 1-215-898-5425

Hai-Ping Lan
Department of Electronics ,
Peking University , Bejing, 100871
lanhaiping at gmail.com, hplan at pku.edu.cn