[Pw_forum] Relation between the magnetic field and the Fermi energies

Matthias Timmer Matthias.Timmer at uni-due.de
Thu Jul 17 18:54:26 CEST 2008

Dear Madams and Sirs,

I am a PhD student from Germany, and at the moment I treat spin
relaxation effects.
I am trying to figure out how the relation between the magnetic field
(bfield(3) in weights, was in sum_band before) and the Fermi energies
(in a constrained calculation) is justified, which is given there. The
given relation is bfield(3) = 0.5D0*( ef_up - ef_dw ), which I
understand is just a simple model, i.e. twice the Zeeman energy is equal
to the difference in the Fermi energies.
However, the Bohr magneton should be present, if I assume that the
magnetic field is given in Rydberg atomic units. The Bohr magneton is
sqrt(2) in Rydberg a.u. (Bohr magneton = e \hbar / (2 m_electron) =
sqrt(2) *1 / (2 * 0.5)). That  means I expect the formula bfield(3) =
0.5D0*( ef_up - ef_dw )/sqrt(2) should be there. When I take a look at
"electrons.f90", however, the output for bfield(3) says that it is
already in Rydberg atomic units (format 9071).
Now I ask myself: Am I missing something (a line of code, or a line of
thought, or a factor somewhere), or is there something wrong with the
output (should it say "bohr" instead of "Rydberg" for bfield(3))?
I am sorry if this has been answered before, but at least I did not find
this in the archive.
Thank you in advance for your answers!

Best regards,

Matthias Timmer