[Pw_forum] about convergence criterion in supercell

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 16 16:18:10 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, lfhuang at theory.issp.ac.cn wrote:

LFH> Dear all friends:

dear <insert name here>,

LFH>   I have a question on convergence criterion in supercell, which is:
LFH>
LFH>      For unit cell, I define "conv_thr" and "tr2_ph" to be 1*d-12 and
LFH>      1*d-14,respectively. Then I take a 4*4*4 supercell, and is it
LFH>      precise enough to define 4*4*4*d-12 and 4*4*4d-14 for "conv_thr"
LFH>      and "tr2_ph" respectively? If it is not, what is the reason?

perhaps you should first explain _your_ rationale for lowering
the convergence threshold when increasing the system size.

a convergence parameter that would depend this much on
the system size would not be a good choice.

in any case, the rationale to choose a specific convergence criterion
should be based on the convergence of the property that you are
interested in. i.e. if you want to do a geometry optimization, the
forces have to be converged accurately enough, not only with respect
to wavefunction/density-cutoffs, k-point sampling but also relative
to the wavefunction convergence. similarly, for other calculation types.

cheers,
   axel.