[Pw_forum] minimization in CP molecular dynamics

Brandon Wood brandonw at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 11 03:56:27 CEST 2008

Dear Mansoureh and Nicola,

If memory serves, the values printed at the end of the file represent
averages throughout the course of the simulation rather than final
values.  So ekinc <> 0 is actually expected, unless you start from an
already converged electronic configuration (although your value is still
surprisingly high).  It also means the total energy doesn't accurately
represent your final configuration.

A better thing to do is to take a look at the data output for the
_final_ CP timestep in your run.  If ekinc is still nonzero at that
timestep, increase nstep.  In any case, it is much more efficient to use
CG minimization.

Brandon

Dr. Brandon C. Wood
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Theoretical Sciences Unit
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
Bangalore, India