[Pw_forum] Small U for Co in ZnO for LDA+U

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 3 09:16:40 CEST 2008

Dear Shu-jun, All,

I get very nervous about using U with non-normalized occupations. Even
if U can have some amount of pseudopotential dependency, using it
with unnormalized projectors really messes up any meaningful discussion
of occupation values and U values.

And of course referees would go nuts at seeing that a U=0.3eV is
relevant - the reason is that that number doesn't really make sense.

To me, it's an option ("atomic") that should be removed altogether from
the code - others might have other opinions, but if we leave it as it
stands, we risk creating an enormous amount of headaches down the line.

			nicola