[Pw_forum] ld1.x Questions

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Fri Jan 18 10:27:15 CET 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 22:20 , Paul M. Grant wrote:

> I understand PP theory, but their construction, as many point out,
> is more art than science

I would rather say, "more cooking than science"

> 1)      What is the purpose of the “negative ocs(nl)” settings one
> sees frequently in the input files in /atomic_doc/pseudo_library?
> (not covered that I can see in INPUT_LD1)

you didn't notice the following lines:

            Negative occupancies are used to flag unbound states;
                   they are not actually used

>   It doesn’t seem to make physical sense.

it doesn't! it is a quick and dirty (dirty more than quick) way to
pass a piece of
information to the code about the type of state under consideration

> 2)      Why doesn’t this library contain some transition metal
> examples?

...because they are by far the most difficult cases ?!?

> 3)      I’ve observed ld1.x from O-sesame (CVS) performs much
> better the executable in the present distribution  espresso-3.2.3,
> which yields a number of formatting errors.

good to hear this and not the opposite. There have been many small
changes in the
cvs version, some of which aimed at better convergence and numerical
stability.

> 4)      It’s stated that ld1.x output can be plotted with Grace,
> but I see no options to produce or launch .agr files such as exists
> in Opium.  I guess it has to be done “by hand.”

good guess. I think that  the statement above just means that numbers
are in
a simple format (columns) that can be easily plotted (also with
gnuplot).
Anybody knowing Grace is encouraged to modify the code so that it
directly
produces .agr files

Paolo
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Physics, University of Udine
via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222