[Pw_forum] segmentation fault

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Tue Feb 26 11:45:38 CET 2008

ambavale sagar wrote:

>         whenever i run structure optimization code i.e &control have
>         card calculation = relax ; my program stops giving segmentation
>         fault. this occurs even with example 03. It could not give force
>         components. Is this problem related to RAM?

'segmentation fault' may happen because of insufficient ram, but it is
VERY unlikely that a small calculation like the one in example 3 can
exceed the available memory of today's smallest machines

>         if yes then how much RAM is necessary? I do have 512MB RAM in
 >         IBM eserver xseries 206.

it strongly depends on the size of the system under examination.
See the "Performance Issue" section of the user guide.

The only thing that can be said based on the scant available
information is that it is a problem specific to your machine,
since nobody else has reported any similar problem

Paolo