[Pw_forum] multi core Vs Single core

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 8 18:34:20 CET 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 12:10 PM, Marcel Mohr <marcel at physik.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> There are some posts about this topic some time ago.
>
> Planewave codes use a lot of memory bandwith, so an Intel
> quadcore is not much faster than a dual core on the same mainboard,
> because the memory bus becomes the bottleneck of the system, and all core
> share the same bus.

for some additional numbers on multi-core. have a look at:
http://groups.google.com/group/cp2k/msg/aa1ce54b56598aab?dmode=source

FYI, CP2K/QuickStep is even more demanding in terms of memory bandwidth than QE.

however, since some vendors are offering quad-core nodes for about the
same price
as dual-core nodes, it is actually a better deal to get quad-core and
then use only
half of the cores (and have twice the cache) if you get processor
affinity set up right.

a.