[Pw_forum] about phonon calculation

premlata pandit lataprem29 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 11:35:50 CET 2008

Dear Pwscf users,
Here I am sending you the input file of Li2S (large band gap semi-conductor)
for scf and phonon calculations. I have some queries regarding this

1. For electronic calculation i am using 8x8x8 k-points which results in
only 60 points. Is it enough to do correct electronic calculations?
With these 60 points only, I calculated the bulk mobulus and the equilibrium
lattice constants, which matches well with the experiment and other
theoritical results.

2. For phonon calculation, I didnt get the LO-TO splitting. Can you please
tell me what more parameters i will use to get the splitting.
I set epsil .true., but it gives the error

     from phq_readin : error #         1
     no elec. field with metals

Any suggestion is highly apperciable

li2s.scf.in

&CONTROL
               calculation = 'scf' ,
              restart_mode = 'from_scratch' ,
                    outdir = './OUT',
                pseudo_dir = '/root/bipul/espresso-4.0.1/pseudo/Li2S',
                   prefix = 'Li2S',
             etot_conv_thr = 1.0d-5 ,
             forc_conv_thr = 1.0d-4 ,
                   tstress = .true. ,