[Pw_forum] "charge is wrong" error in semiconductor slab calculation

J. J. Ramsey jjr19 at uakron.edu
Wed Dec 3 14:45:18 CET 2008

----- Original Message ----

I'll probably need to change my input file anyway to account for surface reconstructions, and in that case a probably won't equal b. It just makes the input file easier to tweak in the future.

> This problem was discussed before many times (you could search in the forum
> archive):

I did search in the archive, but there were several answers, including possible faults in the geometry. I was a bit uncertain about which of them applied to me.

> So, you should include "occupations" and related keywords, otherwise you have a
> semiconducting system that causes the charge deficiency due to insufficient
> bands number.

I used these options:

    occupations = 'smearing',
    degauss = 0.05D0,

This seems to have worked.

> Please, provide your affiliation, too.

University of Akron. Oddly enough, I'm in the Civil Engineering Department, but I and the group of students with which I work are studying quantum dots and their growth.