[Pw_forum] Small U for Co in ZnO for LDA+U

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Aug 4 13:00:12 CEST 2008

Dear all,
    the occupation matrix for the LDA+U calculations is computed
starting from the atomic wavefuncitons which are ASSUMED to be
normalized...
   Unfortunately a number of pseudopotentials (especially US ones) that
have been generated in the past did not enforce the normalization of the
atomic wavefunctions. This went mostly unnoticed because this properties
is not really needed in most situations were atomic wfc are used by
pw.x... but it is important in LDA+U and the of use these
pseudopotentials in LDA+U calculation results in "strange" occupations
which are basically wrong... (other projection options like
"ortho-atomic", or "norm-atomic", approximately orthogonalize the atomic
wave-fuctions but this is done in a way that 1) is crystal dependent 2)
makes technically more involved the calculation of forces and stress
that are therefore disabled).
   To put an end to this problem in the CVS version (unfortunately not
in 4.0 nor in 4.0.1) normalization of atomic wavefunctions is tested and
enforced upon pseudopotential reading.
  If you experience stange unexpected behaviors using LDA+U please make
sure to use the CVS version and report any problem that may still persist.
  Hope this helps,  best regards,
        Stefano de Gironcoli

Nektarios Lathiotakis wrote