[Pw_forum] optimization of any structure

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Aug 4 10:39:26 CEST 2008

Dar Sathya,
 Starting from version 4.0 there is an additional option for the
vc-relaxation that may be worth trying.
Just specify cell_dymanics='bfgs' in the &CELL namelist (and
ion_dymanics='bfgs' in &IONS) and the optimization will be done with a
quasi-newton bfgs algorithm.
It has been recently implemented, report to the list in case of problems
best regards,
   stefano
PS: as already noticed by others  etot_conv_thr = 1.0E-10  and
forc_conv_thr = 1.0D-10 are extremely tight thresholds ...
Start using the default values and then modify them to get your own
feeling on what is a good threshold for your system...