[Pw_forum] Fwd: How to calculate the d-band center?

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon Apr 7 10:24:04 CEST 2008

Dear Yang: please always address your correspondence to the pw_forum
list, rather than to its individual members

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Fan Yang <shrek_826 at yahoo.com.cn>
> Date: April 7, 2008 5:29:40 AM GMT+02:00
> To: Stefano Baroni <baroni at sissa.it>
> Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] How to calculate the d-band center?
>
> Dear sir,
>
>         Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure whether I've got
> your words.
>
>         First, an arbitrary cutoff should be choosed, then each
> interval (abscissa of PDOS, X-coordinate) located in this slected
> region would have a height (ordinate of PDOS, Y-coordinate). The d-
> band center should be defined as the sum of the product of internal
> multiplied by height divided by the total number of heights, namely,
> (X1*Y1+X2*Y2+...+Xn*Yn)/(Y1+Y2+...+Yn). Am I right?

I am confused, in turn. It should simply be integral: $
\int_{E_1}^{E_2} E n(E) dE$, where $E_1$ and $E_2$ are the lowe and
upper cutoffs.
>         Another question, whether the using of  arbitrary cutoff
> would affect the value of d-band center?

of course, it will. this simply reflects the fact that the very
concept of "d-band center" is (slightly) ill defined. The more
isolated the band is, the less sensitive the value of the integral
will be on the choice of the cutoffs, the more well defined the
concept of "d-band center" ...

If I may dare to give you a suggestion, never try to implement any
formula, before you think you understand to some degree of confidence
the concepts on which the formula is based. simple drwaing by hands,
drafts notes, trila-and-error will help ... I know it may be hard, but
it is the only path to learning ...

cheers - SB

>         Best Regards,
>
>                               Fan
>

> ======================================
> Fan Yang
> PH.D Candidate in Electrochemistry
> College of Chemistry and Molecular Science
> Wuhan University,430072,Hubei Province,China
> E-mail:shrek_826 at yahoo.com.cn

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget