[Pw_forum] Error in vc-relax

Konstantin Kudin konstantin_kudin at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 20:16:12 CEST 2007

 Wow, this was like a very entertaining post! I nominate Axel for the
appropriate prize !!! Kids, don't play with the fire that is QE ! :-)

 By setting the entertainment aspect aside, I suspect that most users
would rather much prefer to get the job done quickly while remaining
for the most part ignorant about the code intrinsics, and move on with
their life, as opposed to diving deep into the manuals and PW forum
archives in order to figure out how to force the code to do what is
needed.

 So, from this angle, some sort of *automatic* solution would be
desirable. I have used vc-relax quite a lot for 2D cell optimizations.
The code crashes each time there is a symmetry decrease. I am certain
that changes in the cell geometry cause such effects, for example, when
the input cell is hexagonal, and the first step makes it non-hexagonal.
So, then, for example, the system goes from 8 symmetry operations to 4,
and the code crashes. A fix would involve either making the code
respect the input symmetry such that the cell changes do not alter it,
or, the code could re-initialize with the new symmetry when a problem
is detected, sort of like doing an internal restart.

 My examples are all huge, so I won't post them yet.

 Kostya