[Pw_forum] DFT+U: about how to get U

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Wed Oct 17 17:29:57 CEST 2007

Dear Chao Cao,

Chao Cao wrote:
> Dear Matteo,
>  Thanks for this fast response. I have two more questions.
> I am assuming that by "non-equivalent" you mean non-equivalent site
> instead of non-equivalent type, i.e. if I have two Fe atoms within 1
> unit cell, I'll have to treat them individually, therefore they might
> have different U number?

Yes, I meant non equivalent sites. two atoms of the same kind but on
non-equivalent sites may have different U.

> Also, it looks to me that this method is not restricted to d-electrons,
> and practically it also applies to p and f electrons, am I right?

formally it's possible to apply it to p or s electrons. however  the
LDA+U was designed for localized orbitals.
also with extended orbitals you may need to orthogonalize them because
you may have significant overlaps bewteen different atoms.
no problem with f states.

Matteo