[Pw_forum] Still problems on my intel mac .... again HELP !!!!

Riccardo Sabatini riccardo at fcs.it
Tue Nov 27 16:40:54 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

    first of all many many thanks for the help you gave me, but still
something id wrong :(((

    I tried all the suggestions you gave me. I cleaned with make clean,
i even deleted the directory and started from scratch several times but
nothing different, still the problem at the library.

    I used the make.sys-mac-intel suggestions, i mixed them and my
configuration (i don't have intel mkl). Still everything works great but
when is the time of compiling pw.x

 ----------
ifort  -o pw.x \
        pwscf.o ../Modules/at{***CUTTED***}ml_io_base.o libpw.a
../flib/ptools.a ../flib/flib.a ../clib/clib.a ../iotk/src/libiotk.a
-llapack -latlas
ipo: warning #11023: file format not recognized for ../flib/flib.a
ipo: warning #11023: file format not recognized for ../iotk/src/libiotk.a
ld: warning empty table of contents: ../flib/flib.a (can't load from it)
ld: warning empty table of contents: ../iotk/src/libiotk.a (can't load
from it)
ld: Undefined symbols:
_MAIN__
make[1]: *** [pw.x] Error 1
make: *** [pw] Error 2
----------

    What i understood id that there is a problem either with ranlib or
ar. I tried different solutions and configurations in make.sys. I tried

AR             = ar
ARFLAGS        = ruv
RANLIB	       = ranlib

No luck, same error. Then i tried (as in the make.sys-mac-intel)

AR             = ar
ARFLAGS        = ruv
RANLIB	       = echo

With this i recive a strange error, something about "ar error, cannot
use the argument k". I found that that configuration doesn't work
because no arguments are passed to ar, expect if i add

ARFLAGS_DYNAMIC= ruv

In this case the ar works fine but then again the same error !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but i'm getting crazy...........any help is very appreciated ! By
the way, thanks again for the help, i rellay appreciate.

       Riccardo

P.S.: I give you here somethig that can help. The error comes out right
after ar creates the libraries at the first time. When ar runs both in
iotk, libpw or any other one i have the same strange message. I write
down the case for iotk (the main behaviour happens everytime ar runs)

---------------
ar ruv libpw.a a2fmo***CUT***wsweight.o

ar: creating archive libpw.a
***CUT***

a - a2fmod.o
a - wsweight.o

ranlib: file: libpw.a(a2fmod.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: libpw.a(add_bfield.o) has no symbols
***CUT***
ranlib: file: libpw.a(write_ns.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: libpw.a(wsweight.o) has no symbols

echo libpw.a
libpw.a