[Pw_forum] Problem with nbnd in clusters

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Wed Nov 21 17:13:43 CET 2007

Hi Nicola,

I would like to express my opinion on this very interesting topic that
you mentioned.
These are just my very arguable ideas or what I think I have understood
from a little thinking and studying of this problem.

Let's start from B and H2+ or 1 e- TM atoms with only 1 d state occupied
(e.g. Sc or Y): I think that the "real" ground
state is cylindrical. So for example in the H2+ molecule at large
interionic distance one should get the localization of the e-
on one of the protons. The symmetry of the problem (and of the
potential) is re-established on a statistical level because
the physical situation can be described by a statistical mixture of
states with 1 e- on one proton or the other one that have the same
probability.
So in the case of B it would be a misture of px, py, pz with weights of
0.333 each (BTW this case is a bit like the Scroedinger cat because any
cartesian coordinate system you fix is arbitrary; you would probably
need a filed to break this equivalence but in that case you would
perturb the system....). Now problem is: would should we expect from
DFT? I think this is at the core of the old problem that DFT "prefers"
the solution where the charge density has the same symmetry of the
potential (a "spherical" one for B) instead one of the possible and
equivalent materializations of the statistical mixture for which
symmetry is broken. Why? I think because a) you would need to break the
symmetry "by hand"; b) there is a finite, negative contribution to the
energy (coming from an approximate Hxc potential) even for one electron
systems that shouldn't be there and gives lower energy for the
symmetrical solution (e.g. the electron delocalized over the H2+
molecule at any distance). In fact corrections as "simple" as SIC can
solve these problems (I guess/hope).

Situation is more involved with multi-electron systems like, for example
H2. If you pull the two nuclei apart one gets (in real life) 1 e-
localized on each side. What is the spin of these two e- (of course they
were in a singlet state at short distances)? Any relative orientation
is good. So again I think the infinite distance solution is a
statistical mixture of 4 states with equal probability. How this
solution connects to the one at finite distances? I think it
continuously connects to a multi-reference ground state described by a
combination of slater determinants.
What to expect from DFT? I think that to get the best out of DFT one has
to impose a broken symmetry solution (e.g. an antiferromagnetic
one for H2); this corresponds in fact to one of the states in the
statistical mixture of the infinite distance case and to one of the
slater determinants
in the real ground state wavefunction. How about the charge density? If
we sum over the spin it still has the symmetry of the problem.
If we had the perfect DFT I think that, with a broken symmetry solution
(that has the advantage also that the two body density matrix
rho(x,x')-->0 for large interatomic distances), we would get the right
energy and density (not wfc that is a fake one) because that is what DFT
is meant to do. if we have a symmetrical solution with each electron
split between both sites I think this won't come out right even with a
perfect xc functional (which nobody has).

For multi-electron, multi-states systems of course the situation is more
complicated than this. But I would prefer a broken symmetry solution in
any case (and hopefully a better xc functional).

hope this helps,

Matteo