[Pw_forum] time-reversal symmetry broken

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed Nov 21 11:30:22 CET 2007

Timo: I do not have a solution handy, and others may have deeper
ideas. I think the problem is that when simmetrizing the charge
density the code always assumes e(k)=e(-k) and psi(-k)=psi(k)*, and
so it never uses more than 1/2 the BZ. One thing you may try is to
pass explicitly all the k-points, and wish that the code is not so
smart as to remove 1/2 of them ... Otherwise, I do not see any other
options than hacking the code (but, again, others may have smarter
ideas). SB

On Nov 21, 2007, at 4:04 AM, Timo Thonhauser wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a question concerning the breaking of time-reversal symmetry
> within PWscf. For my proposes I have modified the code and included a
> (periodic) vector potential into the Hamiltonian. The code gives very
> good results for the quantity that I am interested in for molecules,
> i.e. gamma-point calculations. However, when I try to do calculations
> for periodic solids, the results worsen.
>
> I think the code (unless you do spin-orbit coupling) assumes time-
> reversal symmetry. In principle, including a vector potential breaks
> time-reversal symmetry. But, in the cases of my gamma-point
> calculations
> that did not cause any problems ( psi_(-k)=psi_(k)* for k=gamma ) and
> hence, I get good results for molecules. However, maybe this is the
> problem with my calculations for extended systems: including the
> vector potential breaks time-reversal symmetry, and
> in general psi_(-k) is not psi_(k)*, but the code is not "aware"
> that the symmetry has been broken.
>
> Thus, my question is: is there a simple way to tell the code that
> time-reversal symmetry is broken without getting into spin-orbit
> stuff?
>
> Thanks,
> Timo Thonhauser, MIT

> Dr. TIMO THONHAUSER
> Department of Materials Science and Engineering         (617) 253 6026
> MIT, 13-4084, 77 Massachusetts Avenue               thonhauser at mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139-4307, USA                    www.mit.edu/~thonhaus

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)