[Pw_forum] ion problem

Cyrille Barreteau cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Wed Nov 14 09:38:32 CET 2007

Thanks a lot for this detailed explanation...
Hopefully I will succeed to follow this tortuous way,
else I will wait for the next release :-)

   cyrille

Giovanni Cantele wrote:

>Cyrille Barreteau wrote:
>

>>Dear all
>>
>>I have a question related to this problem.
>>I am interested in the study of charged clusters.
>>If I understand well, due to to the periodicity of the plane wave codes
>>one has to substract the correct "background" in order to keep the
>>energy from going to infinity..
>>

>This is automatically done by the code, as you may read in the INPUT_PW
>documentation file:
>nelec          REAL
>               number of electron in the unit cell
>               (may be noninteger if you wish)
>               Default: the same as ionic charge (neutral cell)
>               A compensating jellium background is inserted
>               to remove divergences if the cell is not neutral
>
>So, you set nelec in the input file, and that should be enough.
>

>>I would like to compare the energy of clusters with different
>>charges -e -2e etc... Do you have some advices to do such calculation?
>>Is it necessary to take even larger supercells than for neutral clusters?
>>

>The problem with charged clusters is that spurious interactions are
>introduced by the
>periodic boundary conditions, so as convergence would be achieved at
>very large supercells.
>Neverthelessm the total energy can be corrected, to get rid of such
>interactions, as
>described by Makov-Payne, PRB (1995). Such corrections are currently
>implemented
>in Quantum-ESPRESSO, with the only warning that, as far as I know,
>corrections are
>applied to the total energy but are not to the forces.
>
>If you are using espresso-3.2, you should
>- run a self-consistent calculation for you charged cluster
>- run post-processing code pp.x, for obtaining the total charge density
>(plot_num=0) in
>a suitable format
>- run dipole.x, you may read the header of PP/dipole.f90 for very short
>explanation
>
>You finally end up with a Makov-Payne correction that must be added to
>the total energy
>WITH its sign.
>You may try the same charged cluster with two different supercells, and
>compare the
>two uncorrected energies, as well as the corrected ones, finding the
>latter much more
>converged.
>
>Next releases will probably have an easier procedure. In the CVS version
>I understand that a new variable
>(assume_isolated) has been added to the pw.x input, that, if set to
>.TRUE., should allow to get
>the MP correction directly within the scf loop (so post-processing is
>not mandatory).
>
>Giovanni

Cyrille Barreteau  | phone : +33 (0)1 69 08 29 51
CEA Saclay         | fax   : +33 (0)1 69 08 84 46
DSM/DRECAM/SPCSI   | email cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Batiment 462       |
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex  FRANCE
http://www-drecam.cea.fr/spcsi/index.php