[Pw_forum] Na phonon issues

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Thu May 17 18:20:04 CEST 2007

Dear Miguel,

I do not think we have ever managed, even for very high-thresholds
everywhere , to converge the lowest frequencies so that at Gamma
or close to Gamma they would come out "right" in a direct phononq
calculation. In other words, it does seem that the converged values that
phonon gives, for the lowest frequency at Gamma or nearby, it's not the
value that you would expect, i.e. sitting on a linear dispersion from
Gamma, with slopes determined by the elastic constants (if the q is on
a high symmetry direction).

Diamond carbon was the worst case, with a converged value at Gamma that
(if I recall correctly - Nicola B ?) could be anywhere between -10
and 50 cm^-1 , depending on the pseudo (note that these numbers are
small, compared to the optical frequencies of diamond, around 1500
cm-1).

Why is that ? Not sure - Stefano de Gironcoli advice was to try
and remove the xc part, to see if that was the culprit, but we never
tried.

The only solution is to calculate the dynamical matrix explicitly on a
homogeneous q grid that is not too fine (so that the q closest to gamma
but not gamma has all frequencies well converged), then transform in
real space, impose acoustic sum rules, and then obtain the phonon
dispersions everywhere from the fourier transform and diagonalization of
the interatomic force constants.

But it's true that it's only partially satisfactory, and I wouldn't mind
figuring out a solution, especially because accurate results at long
wavelengths are very important for thermal transport.

One additional note about worst case scenarios: when two dispersions are
degenerate, but maybe numerically slightly different, we found an
instability in the back-transform (I think because diagonalization and
ft do not commute) with the two degenerate branches being degenerate at
the original q's, and mostly everywhere, but with one of the two
displaying a infinite derivative at a critical q close to gamma, in
between gamma and one of the original q's. This was the case for CNTs.

				nicola