[Pw_forum] CO and N2 Crystals

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Sun May 6 18:46:09 CEST 2007

Dear Amos,

ibrav specifies the 3-dimensional repetition pattern (i.e. the Bravais
lattice) that you apply to the individual atoms you specify.

E.g., an infinite fcc crystal of Al can be described as one Al atom
repeated according to the translational symmetry of a fcc Bravais
lattive, or as 4 atoms repeated in a simple cubic Bravais
lattice, or in many other ways. One atom repeated fcc is the least
expensive approach.

A crystal of CO would typically have 2 atoms specified, and the
ibrav of the crystal you think CO has. Of course molecular crystals can
have unit cells that contain more than one inequivalent molecule - so
you would have to specify more than 2 atoms. An isolated CO molecule
would be described by a crystal with a lattice parameter large enought
where the CO - CO interactions have become negligible.

Having said this, this is a question that is not appropriate to the
forum - it's really about crystals et al. Ashcroft Mermin chap 4-7 could
be a good start, or the material in
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Materials-Science-and-Engineering/3-320Spring-2005/CourseHome/index.htm

				nicola