[Pw_forum] Using fftw wrapper for intel mkl lib?

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Mar 5 22:22:40 CET 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Detlef Schmicker wrote:

DS> Dear Paolo,
DS>
DS> thanks. I managed to link to mkl with v.2 and v.3 wrapper. Both are
DS> working in my serial execution setup.
DS>
DS> I could not reproduce spead up using v.3 wrapper and mkl. I have a
DS> Pentium 4 and espresso 3.2.

detlef,

please keep in mind, that speedup frequently depends
also on the number of supported grids. fftw can handle
grids with roots up to 11, and does a very decent job
at that. many other ffts only support roots up to 5,
so it might frequently happen that with fftw you can
use smaller grids, which will compensate or even overcompensate
the speedup from a faster fft. so when you compare performance,
you should check wether you have the same grids.

in the case of - for example - fftw vs. essl, it can be that
you go from a 5% advantage of essl for an 128x128x128 grid
to a 20% deficit for an 132^3 grid (since essl has to use 144^3).
i stumbled across this with a different code, but it has
to apply to QE as well.

cheers,
   axel.