[Pw_forum] max_time

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 28 00:38:02 CEST 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, ÇÍÓÇä ÚÑíÞÇÊ wrote:

I> Dear Axel
I> thank you for your patient and replaying ,I can
I> restart the jobs if it is relaxation by replacing
I> restart instead of from_scratch ,but I can`t do so if
I> the job is scf ,am I wrong ,what is EXIT.prefix file
I> ,can you give some references to read about.

what kind of calculations are you running, when
you cannot complete a single point calculation within
a week? what kind of machine are you running on?
are you running efficiently (i.e. not constantly
swapping?).

in that case, you may be better off, to either
investigate whether a less expensive method
(DFT-TB) can give you similar quality results
or whether you can get access to a more powerful
machine/cluster.

to learn about the so-called softexit have a look
at the user's guide. e.g. at (right before 'Phonon calculations'):

http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Using_PWscf#Typical_cases

cheers,
   axel.

p.s.: first of all you should of course upgrade to the latest
version of quantum espresso.