[Pw_forum] max time

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 25 17:51:45 CEST 2007

On 6/25/07, ÇÍÓÇä ÚÑíÞÇÊ <ihsanas at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Axel
> I`m not using any queing system,I`m  running the jobs
> interactively " means on the computer directly not
> through a queing system" eventhough it stops ,may be
> this problem becouse I am using old version 2.1.2 .

dear ihsan,

i admire your optimisim.
expecting a machine to run reliably for over a week
under full load is asking for a lot, even if you have the
perfect hardward and machine room (do you?).

it is most likely, that some machine setup related issue
terminated your job (running out of memory?, max cputime
limit on the shell level), but if it was a problem with QE,
please try again with the current release version. nobody
will help you to correct a problem in an deprecated version
of the code.

regardless, QE calculations are generally restartable, and
you can also set up your jobs to terminate cleanly after
a certain time is expired. in the typical enviroment, people
can rarely expect to run jobs longer than 24 hours, so it
might be a good thing to practice how to restart jobs.

> best regard
> Ihsan

please remember the forum policy of stating your
full name and affiliation. thanks.

cheers,
   axel.