SIGSEGV with intel compiler (Was: Re [Pw_forum] example01 errors;....)

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Fri Jun 1 10:59:38 CEST 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 18:26 , Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:

> this looks like you might be running out of stack space.
> since you seem to be using the intel compiler, you'll have
> to enlarge the stack space user limit. the default setting
> on many installations is too small. try setting it to the
> maximum via either: ulimit -s unlimited (if you are using a
> bourne shell, e.g. bash) or: limit stacksize unlimited
> (if you are running in a c-shell, e.g. tcsh).

I think I found (on the net, of course) the ultimate solution to this
problem. Setting 'ulimit' may not be the solution because the stack
size can be reset to some other value either by the batch system
or by the code itself (an example: the machine I am using for test,
Cineca clx, has the stack size set to unlimited by default, but the
code keep crashing for some calculations). The safe solution is to
call a C routine that resets the stack to unlimited. I don't know if it
will solve Helen's problem, but it solved Peter's problem without any
change to the code. Patch attached. Paolo