[Pw_forum] Normalization of the atomic wave functions

degironc degironc at sissa.it
Wed Jul 18 11:01:20 CEST 2007

the atomic wavefunctions in the pseudopotential are normalized, and in
the LDA+U they are used as such...
however for each k-point the code builds the bloch-type linear
combination of atomic wavefunctions.
The norm of this bloch-like wfc depends on the overlap between wfc in
neighboring cells AND on the wfc
spread. The 3d orbital are likely to be rather localized but the 4s wfc
are probably very delocalized. this is why the
calculated norm of the bloch-type wfc is significantly different from 1.
The projection in LDA+U is however defined on the individual atoms (even
if technically bloch states are involved) and these
wfc are normalized.
hope this helps,
stefano de Gironcoli, SISSA and DEMOCRITOS, Trieste (Italy)