[Pw_forum] Integrated DOS in dos.x output is not consistent in nelec

Andrea Ferretti ferretti.andrea at unimore.it
Wed Jan 31 15:42:15 CET 2007

Dear Yukihiro,

> The all valence electron number nelec = 44
> [....]
> but, it seems different number 33.5333....
>
> Why such a problem have happen?
>

>  &inputpp
>     outdir='/home/okuno/PWSCF/espresso-3.1.1/Work/PbTiO3',
>     prefix='PbTiO3',
>     fildos='PbTiO3.dos',
>     Emin=-15.0, Emax=20.0, DeltaE=0.05
>  /

I suspect your problems are due to the values you specified for

Emin=-15.0  or  DeltaE=0.05

small numbers of electron from the DOS may be due to the fact Emin is not
below the lowest eigenvalue (my suggestion is to avoid providing Emin except you
really need it)...

a second problem may be connected with the DeltaE value: since the
integration of the DOS is performed on the output energy grid, a too
coarse grid may result in wrong integration...
( note that the default value for DeltaE is 0.01 eV )

hope it helps
andrea

--
Andrea Ferretti
National Research Center S3, CNR-INFM  ( http://s3.infm.it )

Please, if possible, don't send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments